Extract, the new innovative & ecological paper is the result of a unique collaboration between consumer, recycler and papermaker. It is a dynamic combination of chemistry and artistry that takes disposable cups and transforms them into beautiful paper.
From design problem, to designed solution.
Coffee on the go is more popular than ever, yet less than 1 in 400 of those cups gets recycled. It’s partly chemistry — the polyethylene that stops the cup getting soggy makes recycling difficult, and, it takes a special process to separate the plastic from other paper waste, which makes it expensive. That’s why G.F Smith is partnering with CupCyclingTM by James Cropper to offer a solution by design.
From disposable cup, to beautiful paper.
Using CupCycling technology, we’re taking 90% of the waste from each cup and converting it back into FSC certified paper fibre. This means every sheet of Extract in 380gsm paper contains at least five upcycled coffee cups. The remaining 10% of waste — which is plastic — will become something else entirely. It’s a zero waste process, so the more Extract that gets used, the fewer cups go to landfill or incineration. The CupCycling solution has required a unique collaboration between consumer, recycler and papermaker. From avoidable waste, to conscious consumption. Recycling is just the start of reducing waste. G.F Smith’s Exact Sheet Policy, means paper can be bought to the nearest single digit (as long as the order is more than 25 sheets) so only the amount needed is ordered, minimising paper waste. And Extract has been developed to work exceptionally well with the latest digital printing technology, so only the amount needed is printed, minimising ink waste.
From simple commitment, to broader change.
Upcycling addresses the problem, not the cause. So, the creation of this exceptional FSC certified paper is just a start to reducing plastic consumption and the impact it has on our environment. Changes in our methods of production and day-to-day operations — including the installation of solar panels at our factory in Hull — are also helping us to reduce our carbon footprint by more than 90 tonnes of CO2 a year. We’re also a proud partner of the Two Sides initiative helping to ensure that paper’s sustainable qualities can be enjoyed well into the future. As a company, we are resolute in finding ways to minimise and reduce the environmental impact of our business activities.
Interested to receive an Extract swatchbook? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Extract 2019.